T.H.i.N.K.
LETS TRY TO REMEMBER HOW TO THINK FOR OURSELVES AGAIN

DIY: self-improvement

“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” - Flora Whittemore

 "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -Leo Tolstoy

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. " -Reinhold Niebuhr   




Change and self-improvement are quite a common topic in my articles/blog posts/discussions/tweets/statuses, yet I keep finding new aspects to it, so get updated and read up. A quick post today, since I haven't slept in over four days... :)

The spring semester started at my university, although you can't tell it from the weather: the snow has left, and been replaced with ice. I kind of wish it had stayed...
Anyways, with the new semester I feel like there is always a certain feeling of opportunity in the air. The potential of things to come.
This semester, more than usual I feel like people around me are feeling it. Many of my friends have said ''I need to change my lifestyle'' or ''I need to rethink my life''.  But it seems to me that people don't know how or where to start.
Luckily for you, my dear readers, that self-improvement has been my obsession since I was 9 years old. So I am here to help. 


 The point I want to emphasize is that it is always possible to change your life for the better. I feel like people don't understand this and sink into a state of hopeless misery and acceptance, which leads to depression. Don't allow your mind work tricks on you. 

Step 1: Find an aspect of your life that seems incomplete or makes you unhappy. Make a list. And move on to step 2.

Step 2: Find something new, or a way to improve the old. Find a possible ''change''.

Step 3: Go out and do it. 

Seems very simple, but people tend to get stuck on each of the three steps. Because practically, it may be a long period of time from one step to the other, with difficulties, set backs and doubts. So the most important thing is to stick with it and not allow yourself to cower back to your comfortable state of misery.  
It may seem ironic, but people may prefer to be miserable, because it is comfortable and safe, as opposed to taking a risk and changing something in your life.

"Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better."
-King Whitney Jr.
 For example, I decided to start martial arts classes. I feel like I need an outlet for my anger that doesn't include fighting with my parents or being aggravated to random people. And also for self-defense, because, maybe you have noticed from my previous articles, I'm a bit of a feminist, and I don't like being dependent on my male friends for protection in the evenings. 
What about you? Is there some aspect of your life or yourself that you don't like? How can you change it? Do you have to add or remove something or someone from your life? Try something new? 
The hardest step is always the first one, because it's getting out of your comfort zone. But once you're out there, you will start to feel the rush of excitement and accomplishment. And that will help you through the process.
Be brave!
 
0 comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT DO YOU THINK?


View My Stats

Welcome!

A collection of sophisticated (usually), optimistic (rarely), smart ass (once in a while) breakthroughs of mine that strive to inspire and encourage. Take a look...if you dare.

IF YOU USE OR QUOTE ANY PART WITHOUT CREDITING ME ITS PLAGIARISM AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW!

What topics are the most interesting for you?


Followers

Pages